Friday 15 June 2012

BC on a plate- a locally-sourced fish recipe

My husband and I hosted a dinner party last weekend, giving me the opportnunity to get creative with the bounty of beautiful ingredients that BC has to offer in late-spring.  I try not to get too set on a menu before heading out to the farmer's market to see what ingredients really call out to me.  I usually come up with a general idea of what to cook based on number of guests, likes/dislikes, etc., then allow myself to get inspired.

In the end, I was pleased with how all of the dishes came out (hope my guests were too!), but in the end, the fish I prepared really stole the show for me- Baked sole with arugula-walnut pesto.  Simple, fresh ingredients that married together to make a light, fresh main course.  And the best part- it can be prepared ahead of time so that you can enjoy your guests company when they arrive:)

Here is the recipe:

Fresh BC sole (from Granville Island)- 6 fillet (approximately one lbs)

Pesto: 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup arugula (from the West End Farmer's market), 3 cloves garlic, olive oil to moisten, salt and pepper

3 tomatoes (BC hot-house tomatoes from Granville Island)

6 springs of rosemary

Salt and pepper

To prepare: Mix together all ingredients for pesto in food processor.  Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.  Thinly slice tomatoes and place over fish (approx. 3 pieces/fillet).  Divide the pesto evenly between the fillets (over the tomoatoes).  Place rosemary at the bottom of a large baking dish and lay fish over top.  Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes just until the fish flakes apart.  

If this looks yummy to you, make it now before the ingredients are out of season and you must wait until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment