Wednesday 6 March 2013

Beaucoup Bakery: A Little Taste of France

It has always been my dream to go to Paris.  I have it all planned out in my head- stay in a little tiny apartment, rent a bicycle with a little basket in the front to drive to the neighborhood market and buy fresh pastries for breakfast.  Ahhhh....

Unfortunately, it is just still a dream as life will not allow for that trip this year, but plans are in the works for 2014!

For now, I have been blessed by the next closest thing to France right here in Vancouver- Beaucoup Bakery.  

There was a lot of hype building up to the opening of this place by baker and owner Jackie Ellis, who studied pastry making in Paris.  I first tried her offerings at the Van Farmer's Market "Christmas Market" this past Christmas and was blown away immediately by how delicious her baking was!  I was ecstatic when I heard that she was working on opening a bakery very close to where I live (how lucky am I) and, after a little delay, they were off the ground running!  




Their location at Fir and 5th is a bit tucked away and perhaps not in the prettiest area (lots of concrete!) but that has not stopped people from catching on fast.  Heck, I would be prepared to walk to the moon and back to get one of their tropical scones!  Once you actually get there, the bakery itself is very charming.  It has a few little tables as well as some stools at a counter by the window where customers can make themselves at home while they savor a mouth-watering french pastry and a luscious latte.  I don't think I could think of a better way to start the day- you can easily close your eyes and transport yourself to Paris!

Now onto the goodies.  I must return to talking about the aforementioned tropical scone.  This is their sweet scone and they also feature a savory variety.  Scones are probably my favorite of all pastries and therefore, I have toured Vancouver (and admittedly every place my husband and I travel to) in search of the best scone.  And I think I have found it here at Beaucoup.  Such buttery goodness has never been tasted!  It has the perfect amount of sweetness from dried pineapple, which is complemented so beautifully by shredded coconut and then made just a little more decadent with the addition of white chocolate.  I salivate just thinking about it.  




My husband has enjoyed the marcona almond bar, but it is so pretty you almost feel bad eating it!  It is made of a buttery pastry crust base, topped with a caramel center and marcona almonds on top.  Delicious and beautiful!

I am a little ashamed to admit that I really cannot comment on any of their other goodies (which I can almost guarantee are amazing!) because, each time I go, I just cannot resist getting the Tropical Scone.  I know I need to branch out, but I just cannot leave the scone behind.  Next time, my plan is to go hungry and a scone AND another treat:)

Beaucoup Bakery, we are SO glad to have you nearby!  Although I may have to wait another year to travel to Paris, having you around certainly makes the wait more bearable!

Beaucoup Bakery & Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment