Saturday 20 October 2012

Au revoir Van Farmer's Market!

It is with much sorrow that I write this blog post, on this, the last weekend for the Van Farmer's Market for the summer/fall season:(

I visited the West End Market today, which will be my last as I am off to Victoria for the next month. It is an absolutely beautiful fall day, sunny with a refreshing nip in the air.

Img_0625
The market was filled with beautiful fall veggies- I just love all of the fall colours!  Here are some of my picks of the day:

Squash galore!  Love to bake the acorn or turban variety and then stuff each side with apple sauce and raisins.  Easy to prepare and yummy!

Img_0623

Img_0620

Brocolli, among my favorite veggies!  Gently steamed or raw- leave it simple!

Img_0624

How about some vibrant red beets?  Borscht anyone?

Img_0621

And for the sweet tooth- how about some Bosc pears and Granny Smith apples?  Don't you just love a green apple with the little blush of red?  

Img_0622

And for my "pick of the day"- brussel sprout stalks!  How cool is that to be able to buy them in their native form, as though you had just picked it yourself.  

Img_0619

 

Although I am very sad about the end of the summer/fall market, at least I still have the winter market to look forward to!  It starts in 2 weekend's time (Nov. 3) at the Nat Bailey Stadium (30th and Ontario). Hope to see you there!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment