Sunday 10 June 2012

The new hot spot in town- Fable

      On the day of my blogging debut, I would like to share my most recent dining experience:

     Last weekend, I had the good fortune of dining at the hot new West 4th restaurant Fable, featuring Canada's Top Chef runner-up Trevor Bird.  I posted this review on Urbanspoon right after our meal there last Saturday night:

My husband and I had been to Fable during their soft opening for an informal get-together to watch the second last "Top Chef" episode (on which Trevor made it into the finale with flying colors) and now, two days after its official opening, we went back for his tasting menu.We are not usually early eaters but we jumped at the chance to dine at 5:30 when things would still be quiet enough for us to sit at the bar right in front of the kitchen and be treated to his tasting menu. The place was absolutely rocking by 6:30 so it is very understandable that they are unable to accommodate this request later on a weekend night.They have done an excellent job of transforming this place into casual and comfortable room that made us feel very much at home. This "homey" feel was reinforced by the terrific staff, from the very friendly maitre d' to Trevor and his kitchen staff who we had the pleasure of chatting with during our meal from out perch at the bar in front of the kitchen. This was a real treat after following him and his fellow competitors on Top Chef for the past 12 weeks.From watching the show, we know that Trevor is innovative and can create stunning dishes but of course we could only imagine what the food actually tasted like. The food that we were served tonight certainly surpassed anything that I could possibly imagine. The meal began with a fresh oyster with vodka and grapefruit as the Amuse. The next course was the Chickpea Fritter appetizer, made with chunks of chickpea and mushroom, covered with a creamy sauce and delicious pickled onions. It reminded me of the most refined of falafel- yum! The next dish was a masterpiece- tuna with lemon and other spices poached in the mason jar in which it is served. It comes with a few small pieces of bread that act as vehicles to get that heavenly tuna into your mouth. We then went onto two of the mains- halibut and salmon for me (a pescatarian) and halibut and duck for my husband. Both pieces of fish were cooked PERFECTLY, something that many restaurants (even the most highly regarded) are unable to achieve. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The salmon was served with the lightest, fluffiest gnocci I have ever had and the halibut came atop a very flavorful bowl of chowder complete with wonderfully plump mussels. For dessert, we were treated to two dishes from Curtis (another Top Chef contestant). One was a lemon crema and the other, a delightful rhubarb cake. I do not usually order dessert but was very glad to have tasted these delicious creations!

The bottom line is that these guys have something great going on here- the highest quality food that you enjoy in a place where you feel you are among friends. I believe this is the first time I have made my next reservation at a restaurant right after finishing my first meal there- it was so great that we already have our table reserved for this coming Friday! No matter what the outcome of the Top Chef finale on Monday, Trevor and his team will no doubt remain the Top Chef here in Vancouver !

 

      Even a week later, I am just as excited about the culinary talent of chef Trevor and his team. If you have not yet had a chance to taste some of their delicious offering, I suggest a visit in the near future- this place is heating up fast and reservations will be much in demand!      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment