Friday, 15 June 2012

BC on a plate- a locally-sourced fish recipe

My husband and I hosted a dinner party last weekend, giving me the opportnunity to get creative with the bounty of beautiful ingredients that BC has to offer in late-spring.  I try not to get too set on a menu before heading out to the farmer's market to see what ingredients really call out to me.  I usually come up with a general idea of what to cook based on number of guests, likes/dislikes, etc., then allow myself to get inspired.

In the end, I was pleased with how all of the dishes came out (hope my guests were too!), but in the end, the fish I prepared really stole the show for me- Baked sole with arugula-walnut pesto.  Simple, fresh ingredients that married together to make a light, fresh main course.  And the best part- it can be prepared ahead of time so that you can enjoy your guests company when they arrive:)

Here is the recipe:

Fresh BC sole (from Granville Island)- 6 fillet (approximately one lbs)

Pesto: 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup arugula (from the West End Farmer's market), 3 cloves garlic, olive oil to moisten, salt and pepper

3 tomatoes (BC hot-house tomatoes from Granville Island)

6 springs of rosemary

Salt and pepper

To prepare: Mix together all ingredients for pesto in food processor.  Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.  Thinly slice tomatoes and place over fish (approx. 3 pieces/fillet).  Divide the pesto evenly between the fillets (over the tomoatoes).  Place rosemary at the bottom of a large baking dish and lay fish over top.  Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes just until the fish flakes apart.  

If this looks yummy to you, make it now before the ingredients are out of season and you must wait until next year!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the full details,its really a good information
    veg manchurian recipe

    ReplyDelete