Wednesday 8 August 2012

Yoga and Brunch- the perfect combo!

Before coming to Vancouver, I must admit that I was a "yoga virgin"   My perception of yoga certainly did not jive with my A-type, go-go-go personality.  

Shortly after moving to Vancouver, where there is a yoga studio on almost every street corner, I wanted to see what all of the hype was about and gave it a try.  I did a few classes at my gym, Steve Nash Sports Club, and realized that it was a relaxing way to end the day.  Soon after, I tried my first class at Semperviva and since then I have not looked back.  I am hooked!  I still have a long way to go (I only attend Power Vinyasa classes currently as I don't think I have yet mastered the art of sitting still for long enough to try a YIn class!) but I slowly learning that it is OK to relax!  All of the yoga instructors at Semperviva are excellent and I highly recommend checking this place out.  You body, mind and spirit will thank you!

So when one of my favorite Semperviva instructors, Christie, mentioned that she was doing a Sunday yoga and brunch, along with a friend of hers who trained at Le Cordon Bleu in France, I knew I had to check it out!  As per usual, work got in the way for the first couple of Sundays, but last weekend I was finally able to go!

The event was held in the penthouse of a beautiful condo at Cambie and Abbott.  The yoga portion was held on the rooftop patio, which completely ours for the whole day.  It happened to be the hottest day of the whole summer, and the sun was beaming down on us in our downward dogs.  As usual, Christie led a great (and sweaty!) flow yoga class to stimulate our appetites before brunch.  My only regret was bringing a black yoga mat, which was practically on fire by the end of the class!  Guess I got my daily dose of Vitamin D for the day:)

Img_0334

We were then treated to a lavish, multicourse brunch made by classically-trained chef Jennifer Bentall, who is the chef and co-creator of Dinner, a small two-women catering service that specializes in personal dinners and small cocktail events.  I really respect Jenn's style of cooking- she has taken the skills that she learned at Le Cordon Bleu and has adopted them into her much healthier and clean style of cooking.  Absolutely EVERYTHING at the brunch was homemade, even the almond milk accompanying the granola (homeade of course!) to the lemon curd paired with the delicious muffins.  She uses coconut oil in many of her baked goods, adding a tons of healthy fats and yummy flavor.

This particular brunch included the aformentioned granola with almond milk and muffins with jams and lemon curd, two frittatas (one with califlower and gruyere, the other with swiss chard) and a big plate of bacon (the men would have protested had this not been included!).  Everything was absolutely delicious!!!

Img_0337

Img_0338Img_0338

 

Img_0339

 

Img_0336

Next week is sadly the last week for Yoga and Brunch 2012.  Of course, I jumped to sign up again for this Sunday, to spend another morning with fellow yogies and enjoy an exceptional, homemade brunch.  Can’t wait!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment